*Disclaimer*
Today has been our toughest day so far - I did not know where this post would go when I started it and it was completed many hours later. I fear sharing some of this. I fear that I will not bring glory to the Lord. I fear that I will scare people away from adoption. I want to paint a pretty perfect picture, but that would not be true. And I need to be honest with myself and those around me. I need people to know how to pray...
As I sit down today to write, I really have no idea what I will say. It has been 3 weeks today since we got Mia and 6 days since we arrived home. Time feels crazy right now. It seems as though it has s l o w e d unimaginably. I am sure that it has something to do with the fact that I have seen almost every hour on my clock for too many days in a row. The jet-lag has been far more difficult than we anticipated.
Even so, it is AMAZING to be home. It has been SO good to be together as a family. It still has not worn off how much I missed our three at home. I am really treasuring my time with them - individually and as a crew. So many other good things about being home...I love seeing my friends and neighbors and being able to give and receive real live hugs. I love being able to brush my teeth with water from the tap. I love being able to turn on Christian radio and worship my King. I love sleeping in my OWN bed WITH my husband instead of separate twin beds. I love being able to let the water from the shower run into my mouth without fear of sickness. I love not living out of suitcases. I love doing laundry in machines instead of a sink. I love not rationing my shampoo and conditioner. I love blogging on my computer instead of a laptop. I love plugging things into any number of the abundant outlets without adapters or converters. I love receiving calls from people just checking in instead of relying on weak internet connections. I loved having a big juicy cheeseburger fresh off the grill made by my grilling-king man. I even love Walmart (actually that's not true, but it is SO much better than Carrefore).
So, mostly people are wondering how it is going. How is the transition? Overwhelmingly things are good. I think. I have nothing to compare it to. The kids have been very receptive of their new sister and all of the changes around here. They adore her. Mia, too, is doing well overall. There is nothing we've seen that we have not fully expected. But it has not been easy. We have definitely been seeing more meltdowns and more tears. More frustration. Mia has a hard time without my full attention. Not always, but sometimes. She also is having a very difficult time with Chloe. I am sure she sees her as competition and this is survival mode. Chloe has had a LOT of tears over the way Mia treats her. And honestly, so have I. How do I demonstrate love to both of my daughters through this without giving approval for very unkind behavior? Chloe has such a tender heart and this is really hard to understand. It is also hard for her to give Mia space. We have had many long talks and shared many tears together in just a few short days. She is only five and yet she is demonstrating grace beyond her years.
During our time at home, there have been a lot of sweet moments too. I have witnessed hugs and holding hands and sweet giggles coming from behind the girls' bedroom door. I have watched the boys be tender and helpful and patient. Mia has warmed to Steve while watching the others adore him. Mia has responded to both Steve and I with sweet whispered I love yous (in Chinese and English). She is pouring out kisses especially in the morning and at bedtime. There has been teaching and sharing and forgiveness and mercy and love and grace like never before. I have had some of the most tender moments I have ever had with my children in these past 6 days. We have grown closer as a family than we have ever been.
It is hard for me emotionally when Mia is acting out. The Lord has revealed more and more to me about my own pride in this process. (ouch.) I am definitely the kind of mama that is not okay with being sassed at, or disrespected, or tantrums. Ever. And a sassy mouth or a disrespectful attitude are definitely my two hot buttons. So this has been hard. It is brand new territory and the discipline needs to be COMPLETELY different. I have to remind myself that, while Mia is four years old, she is a newborn into our family. She doesn't know the language. She doesn't recognize the food. She doesn't know the expectations. And she is fighting for anyone and everyone to love her. She does not understand that her parents can love her AND her siblings at the same time. And, she doesn't know Jesus.
I know that this will get easier. I know that the Lord would not have called us to this journey without equipping us for it. I know that I am being pruned and shaped and molded. At times it hurts. I know that there is reward in the end. I have seen many glimpses of a sweet, silly, loving & tender little girl. I pray that she will realize it is safe for her to let go. This is forever.
Hanging on to Jesus,
Karen
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










10 comments:
Karen, thank you so much for sharing your heart. I have watched your adoption journey closely as I am about to head to China to meet my four year old daughter. There is so much excitement, yet so many fears of the unknown. I appreciate your honesty. I have four bio children, ages 4 to 10, at home. My youngest is a kind hearted little girl the same age as Gianna. I pray so that they will be life long best friends (along with my other kiddos of course). I know the transition will be difficult and I hope to be prepared as much as possible. I will keep your family in my prayers. Congratulations on your beautiful little girl Mia. You are one blessed mama!
Kerri (fellow mama with very low tolerance for sassy mouths and bad attitudes). My blog is not "up and running" yet but I hope to be in the swing before we leave on the 25th....redthreadblessing.blogspot.com
Karen and Steve and family,
I will be praying for you all. Thank you for sharing your blessings and your struggles too. From observing the experiences of others, and from blending our own family, I would say the things you're experiencing are quite normal: it's not a path without bumps. But when you persevere through the bumps, with lots of prayer and a few tears too, the blessings on the other end of the process are magnificent. Keep pressing on, with the grace of God covering you.
May the Lord fill you with peace and strength, and a constant awareness of how He is constantly at work around you.
God's blessings to you!
We have been struggling with alot of the same things! I have to say we have been home 3 weeks today! And Addison is starting to understand and expect our routine, and expectations (I think) There are still alot of tears, which I don't think is really her personality, however I can only imagine how frustrating it is for our girls! It gets better once the jet lag wears off!
Kim
Karen,
When you are ready (and able) please feel free to give me a call!
We have been home for six months with Avery....it's been a very interesting road....filled with hope, happiness, doubt, frustration, love, forgiveness....we are still getting to know each other....we {Avery & I} are getting to a place where we as mother & daughter are starting to click. It's like I am finally 'getting her'....
Call when you can! :)
Karen, I have watched your blog as you and Shannon got your sweet children. I have not chimed in but as a mom who had a VERY rough time with the transition, I thought I would finally comment.
You have the right attitude and your eyes fixed on the right One. You indeed are being pruned and shaped and molded!
As a mommy who has been home almost 5 months I can tell you IT DOES GET BETTER! I too have a very tender-hearted child that had a hard time with the rough behavior of his brother. It has been a rough road for us as our son had MAJOR tantrums! We asked our social worker to come over to our house a few times to help deal with it all. Consistency and routine are the name of the game for us. Kai has learned he will always be loved no matter what but he will always be disciplined for bad behavior too.
I promise you that a few months from now you will look back and see how His plan unfolded right before your eyes. Things will calm down and Mia will be all the better for it!
Hang in there dear sister, you are doing a good work!
Blessings,
Jamie Ashton
http://web.me.com/snowcatt/Site/Blog/Blog.html
Oh Karen, Thank you for your words.
Of course, I cannot speak from adoption experience, but I remember the long nights of you and Steve walking, walking, and walking with Caleb around the house so he wouldn't cry...
You are right, Mia is your "newborn" right now. She may need some extra "walking"...
As a side comment, I am inspired by your words, "I am definitely the kind of mama that is not okay with being sassed at, or disrespected, or tantrums. Ever. And a sassy mouth or a disrespectful attitude are definitely my two hot buttons."
With my kids being 8,6,4, I feel like this is an area I can improve on. Thank you for touching on this subject of being sassed at, disrespected, and tantrums. I can work on this with Brenna, Evan, and Nathan. Thank you.
I will continue to pray.
Hugs,
Rebecca
We brought home our first child, our son from China 9 months ago and we had a long time of settling in and getting used to this new life for us. It was very hard for me. Our son actually adjusted faster than I did. Part of it was he really loves his daddy but has taken a long time to enjoy being with me and even though I was prepared for that it was very hard. Thanks for being honest w/ your feelings. That is the best way to be. It can really help some people out there who might be adopting but not actually prepared to have hard to deal with feelings, feel overwhelmed, etc. It comes together but it sure can take time!
Karen- I have been following your journey. I have so much respect for your heart and values. I wrote some difficult posts when we first got home about the same thing- transitions, behavior, relationships with siblings. It was harder than I thought and we all had a lot of tears. But it gets better. We are 4 months home and although still working hard, in a much different place. Thanks for sharing your journey.
Thank you for being willing to be vulnerable and honest about the adjustments and struggles.
There is a new Christian adoption website and forum that you might find helpful--just Christian adoptive parents there who want to discuss the real stuff in a safe place. Come join us if you are interested --
www.wearegraftedin.com
Looking forward to reading about how God continues to work in you and in your family,
Kelly
I have enjoyed watching your journey unfold. Thank you for sharing your heart in an honest and loving way. There is no way you can make the transitions to your new normal without a few adjustments along the way. Adoption is not all warm fuzzies for sure. You are so right when you said that God will equip you for what he has called you to:) That is a promise I am relying on with our own adoption journey. Know I am praying for your family, especially the girls' relationship and you and your husband as you parent these precious children. Above all things... God will be glorified through all of this!
In Him,
Kelly
Post a Comment