Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Swearing In Ceremony

Today was a free morning for us. We skipped the sightseeing today (and yesterday) which has made for more down time. We have been able to get some shopping done and take pictures and video of the White Swan. This is really a beautiful hotel. All of the other adoptive families we have met have been so wonderful. It is funny how we really are not strangers sharing an elevator when we have shared this same road. We can relate with one another over the joy and the exhaustion and the longing for home in just minutes. This is a community that I will always treasure.

We just returned from Mia's swearing in ceremony at the US Consulate. There were about 35 other families there with their children as well. The American flag has never looked so beautiful to me. After each family was called to have their passports checked, the US consular came out and shared some details of the procedure. We were all asked to rise and raise our right hand. We repeated an oath on Mia's behalf. As we finished, everyone cheered.
There were a lot of tears.
This ceremony made it official.
As soon as Mia steps foot on US soil, she will be declared a citizen of the United States of America. Thank you Lord.

This whole process continues to be filled with such emotion. I thought a long time today about the gift of US citizenship. I have never spent time in a communist country before now. There are so many freedoms and liberties that I have taken for granted. I pray that the Lord will not remove His hand of blessing from the USA as we turn as a nation further and further from Him.

But even as much as I am longing for home,

I am reminded that the United States of America is not my home.

As much as I love Wausau (and I really do),

Wausau is not my home.

My citizenship is in Heaven.

Our time on this earth is fleeting. Just a vapor. I pray that I will live faithfully preparing for my eternal home with Jesus Christ. I want to be found faithful. And so often I fail. I pray He will use me during my time here on earth - for HIS glory and not my own.

My prayer is that Mia will fall in love Jesus. And that today, while a very special ceremony, will only be the celebration of her temporary citizenship.

May she one day receive citizenship in Heaven.

It is my heart's cry.

Lord let it be.




But our citizenship is in Heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorius body. Philippians 3:20-21

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
Thank you for the note, first of all.
Thank you for continuing to allow us to share in this blessing in your lives.
We have gone through a swearing-in ceremony for Pancho and it was an incredible experience as well. I so appreciate your words reminding us that our citizenship is in heaven and we are to be here, eagerly awaiting our Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be become like His GLORIOUS body! Praise the Lord for that. I echo your prayer for Mia for our Katrina and Samuel.
On a side note, Samuel was on my lap while I read your post just now and he was intrigued by Mia's picture. When I clicked to comment and her picture disappeared he was NOT happy! I told him that is going to be one of his and Katrina's friends. How exciting!
Love and prayers continue to go out from Weston.

Chris said...

Have I told you that every time I read one of your posts, I cry???

Mia looks beautiful in her red, white, and blue dress!

:)

Jessica Bretl said...

What a special day! You're right, what true and deeply resounding reminders of our heavenly citizenship. :) I LOVE the patriotic attire for her ceremony, you think of EVERYTHING! Love you guys, miss you and looking forward to your arrival HOME!!!

Stephanie said...

Beautifully written! Congrats on your daughter, your journey, your oath... You are so close to coming home. I pray for smooth travels and for a blessed reunion with your family!! Mia is BEAUTIFUL!

Rebecca S. said...

Very well said!

You need to write books.

You have a gift.

Amazing!