Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Happy Birthday Caleb!! (and Red Couch Pictures)



I can hardly believe our big guy is NINE today. Where has the time gone? He is half way to adulthood. How can that be? (Sniff.) We are so sad to be missing Caleb's special day. He was okay with it as long as we got him a gift from China. (Done). Thank you Kathy, Mark, Rachel and Audrey for making his day extra fun. Give him kisses from us. Caleb has been such a joy in our lives. He is an incredibly bright and creative kid. He has a passion for truth and is tremendously loyal. His ability to debate has brought this mama to her knees on countless occassions and I am certain in his toddler years he could have given Tedd Tripp & James Dobson a run for their money. We have loved watching him grow in his love for the Lord and in his obedience to His Word. We pray that he will grow into a man who pursues the Lord with passion all the days of his life, who loves the people around him with kindness and a tender heart and who leads others well for the glory of God. We love you Caleb! Big hugs to you!

Today has been a quiet day. The phone DID NOT ring during our visa appointment which is good news. All is well! Afterward, Mia and I did some shopping for a couple of hours. For all those familes waiting to come, Emma's, A Gift from China and Jordan's are my absolute favorite shops! Make sure to go to their places first. We had our Red Couch pictures just a little while ago and I posted some below. All 5 of the kiddos...from left to right: Lila, Mia, Jace, AnnaGrace and Aaron. Lila and Jace are the two kiddos (and their families) that we have been with all along. They are also from Beijing. The other two families have joined us since we arrived in Guangzhou.

I am definitely beginning to feel depleted. We are ready to come home. Nineteen days is a really long time. We miss everyone like crazy. Thank you for your continued prayers for endurance. His grace is sufficient. Oh how many times I have repeated those words to myself over these last weeks. I am so thankful that He has written His Word on my heart.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9


Below are two photos of Mia from today...one of her digging in the backpack looking for gum (a very regular activity) and one after a couple hours of shopping with Mama.




The Red Couch Pictures & some group shots of the 5 families...








5 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

Happy birthday to Caleb!!!

So happy everything is going so well. Love the red couch pics and family ones as well. I know you all are getting so close to heading home and know you will be so thankful!!! Thanks for the advice about the shopping! I am ready to get our trip going too. Hoping for TA this week and leave on Aug 24.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Karen,
We were in Walmart yesterday to get some diapers and I saw you... No, I saw a woman, from behind, that I thought was you. A petite, trendy little lady and I KNEW it could not be you and yet I did a double-take. I wanted to rush over and hug her in your stead. Instead I prayed, like I have been, for you and yours.
There have been some posts where I have literally sobbed and sobbed. One is the one with Mia in the park on the bench and then the picture of you hugging her. I cannot remove that image from my mind. What a beautiful picture of what God does with each of us when we come to faith in Him.
I continue to pray for you all during this time and as you transition home.
Much love!

Christy for the 4 said...

I just LOVE the pic of you, Steve and Mia. Mia looks like a sweet little lady!
As soon as you get home we will have to take a "complete"
VCrew picture!
3 sleeps!!!!!
I miss you!

Jessica Bretl said...

How amazing to be a part of something so special, something so ordained by our God. I'm sure it seems surreal to be taking your own Red Couch photos after the long journey. How exciting that the real adventure is just beginning, life with Mia here! What a joy to have grafted Mia into your family as we've been grafted into God's! I love the photos and we're so glad Caleb had a great day! We miss you and your kids already. We'll continue to pray for you as you will soon begin the journey HOME!

Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous:"The LORD's right hand has done mighty things!" Ps.118:15

Canada to China and back! said...

Great red couch pics! I found it hard also to be away from our son on his 9th Birthday. He said it was great because he got an extra birthday celebration:) Your almost there....almost home! Enjoy your last few experiences and before you know it you will be home with all your beautiful children!
Blessings,
Kim