Monday, August 2, 2010

Medical Exam

We just returned from the medical exam - one more step completed! Mia did great. She was seen in 3 different areas: 1. height, weight and temperature 2. physical exam (very cursory lookover), 3. ENT. For Mia, it was pretty quick and painless. The children who needed vaccinations had those last. Jace only needed 3 and he was a real trooper. Thank you for the prayers. Many kids had 5, 6 and 7 - one up to 10 vaccinations all at one time. No one will ever convince me that is a safe or healthy option for these children. I am so grateful that Mia did not have to undergo those. We have a copy of her vaccination record (which looks complete) and we will have titres done at Children's Hospital to determine if she needs any additional vaccinations.

We did a little bit of shopping and I found Mia a traditional dress for her "Red Couch Photo." This is a famous picture that all of the adoptive families do on the red couches of the White Swan Hotel. We will be headed out to another pedestrian shopping district this afternoon. This is such a nicer pace. It is still very warm, but it feels tropical with the palm trees and resort like hotels. It feels surreal being in the famous White Swan Hotel. I have literally been reading about Guangzhou, the red couch pictures and all of the little shops around here for nearly three years. So many families who have gone before us have walked these same cobblestone streets. Guangzhou is where the US Embassy is located so no matter what province your child is from, all US families must complete their adoptions here.

Last night we ate dinner at the famous Lucy's. It is an "American" restaurant. Steve had a burger and fries, Mia had a kids meal - chicken strip, fries, fruit, juice and ice cream, and I got pizza. The food was very average, but it was great to have something other than Chinese (which I NEVER thought I would say). By the way, Steve seems to be our "give it to Mikey he'll try anything" guy. I guess if he'll eat guinea pig - how bad can it be? Also, we now have a stroller for Mia. We carried her everywhere in Beijing to help with bonding. It was great, but HOT and she is not light. Since she has been doing so well, we thought we would try the stroller here in Guangzhou and she LOVES it. She wants to get in it first thing in the morning. It has made getting around quite a bit easier and less HOT.

We are definitely in the home stretch now. Tomorrow is our consulate appointment where our guide goes with all of our paperwork to apply for Mia's visa. We stay in our room during that hour and wait. If he does not call - all is well. It is also Caleb's 9th birthday! We are SO sad to be missing his big day. I am grateful that he is with Aunt Kathy, Uncle Mark, Rachel and Audrey. I know that they will make him feel special. BIG THANKS to you Kathy & the rest of Team Williams for taking your round with the baton. The kids are always thrilled to be with their cousins, but that can make for lots of energy. I'm praying for you guys. We miss you all beyond words. God is GOOD.

Teach me your way O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. Psalm 86:11










5 comments:

Melissa said...

Ah, the memories... My favorite part of the medical exam with the "hearing test" in which they squeezed a squeeky toy and if she turned her head to look at the noise, she was "good." Talk about cursory...

Can't wait to see your red couch photo. We didn't even stay at the White Swan, but still walked over to get the infamous red couch photo. Mia will be able to swap red couch photos with just about any Chinese adoptee she meets! :)

Still praying,

Melissa W.

Jessica Bretl said...

Yeah! So glad to hear all the exams went well. Alaina is missing your kid crew something terrible today, we all had a good time together. We'll be praying things continue to wrap up well for you and for safe travels HOME!! You're getting there!
Oh can't wait to see Red Couch pics.!

Sarah said...

How exciting! Mia! What a blessing! It's so fun to hear and follow this beautiful story!

Safe travels!

Sarah

Rebecca S. said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALEB!!!

I forgot to ask - how did Mia do on the 2 hour flight the other day?

So glad you are on the home stretch!!!

Dan and MB said...

Such memories to cherish. Remember eating at Lucy's as well and have the "exact" same pic of that sign in the exam room. Enjoy your remaining time there! We hope we can go back when Rebecca is older. Blessings to you guys!