Tuesday, July 20, 2010

We're in China!!




We arrived here a while ago and have gotten a little bit settled. Our 2nd flight was great with another excellent meal - though Dad you may have called it mystery meat. =) We flew through immigration, baggage claim and customs - maybe 15 minutes total. Our guide met us with a CWA sign and took us to a van where we were driven about 25 minutes to our hotel.

Steve is trying to get a quick nap as we are both pretty exhausted. I am afraid if I sleep that I won't be able to sleep tonight. We got the computer set up with the help of some duct tape - I knew we might need it for something! =) Our hotel is beautiful and our guide, Tom, is very nice. He told us that the city of Beijing is 10,000 square miles - makes the details from our last post even more remarkable! And it has reached a population of almost 20 million. It is continuing to grow with jobs and an influx of new apartment buildings. It definitely has a New York city hustle and bustle feel to it. We were able to exchange our first amount of money - the dollar is doing pretty poorly by the way in case you were wondering. =)

The fun news is that we will be meeting Mia tomorrow morning around 9:30AM. We will meet our guide and 2 other families in the lobby tomorrow at 8:30 after breakfast. It is an hour drive to the orphanage and then we will have her! I can hardly believe it is so soon! I need to get some rest, but also have a lot to do before bed: get the gifts ready for the orphanage director and nannies, make sure the camera and video camera are fully charged, get Mia's backpack and things ready, walk around here and find a convenience store, etc. Already saw the pool - nice, and the work out area.

I was able to add some pictures from when we left Wausau to our previous post ...wanted to practice for tomorrow! If you think of it, please pray that we will get good rest tonight, that we (I) will not be anxious or fearful, that we will get the answers to our many questions in this short (1 hour) time there, that we will have no problems with our electronics, batteries, etc and mostly that Mia's little heart is prepared for her family - that she will be able to transition smoothly and receive our love! We are so excited!

Our hotel & hotel lobby


5 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy arrival! The kids and I will pray for you tonight at our bedtime / your meeting time. Lia says, "She might be a little scared, but I hope she gets a teddy to sleep with. That will make her feel better. Mia been waiting so long waiting for her mommy and daddy to pick her up. She'll like them, I think." Blessings!!!

Chris said...

Woo-hoo!!!

I am praying, praying, praying!!!!

I can't wait to see you with your precious Mia!!!!

Oh, this brings back incredible & amazing memories & emotions!!!

Cindy Wilkerson said...

I am excited to follow your journey! Cannot wait to see you with Mia!

Christy for the 4 said...

Welcome to China! Could you have asked for a better trip!? God is so good.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and LEAN NOT On YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING and in all your ways acknowledge HIM and HE will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Jessica Bretl said...

AAHH!! I simply can't handle the pictures! You're there!!! I'm so excited! We're praying for rest and a great Gotcha Day tomorrow!!
Oh Karen... It's almost here! :)
If my heart is going to burst I can only imagine how you feel! YEAH!