Sunday, July 11, 2010

Waters of Baptism


Today was a really special day for our two boys.

Today Caleb and Luke made a public declaration of their faith in Christ through baptism.

It was their choice.

They had been asking to be baptized for the last several months. Without any prompting from us. We talked a lot about it and what it means. They met with our senior pastor and children's pastor. They decided, individually, that they wanted to be baptized. And today was the day.

It was a big day for their mommy & daddy too.

Filled with LOTS of emotion.

It is hard to express what it feels like to watch your son, in the arms of his father and the arms of a dearly loved friend and pastor, be covered by the waters of baptism.

Every night I pray for each one of our children that the Lord would get a hold of their hearts. That He would draw them close. That they would love Jesus with all that they have and all that they are, and that they would pursue Him with passion all the days of their lives.

I have literally begged the Lord for their souls.

It is absolutely what I want more than anything for their lives.

Nothing matters more.

If they don't get this - they have gained nothing.

Christ is the prize.

He is the crown.

That is why I make it my prayer.
Every. Single. Night.

Yes, I also pray for safety and protection. And for them to bear fruit in their lives. I pray for obedient hearts. And I pray that they would grow in wisdom & discernment & self-control. I pray that the Lord would make them humble, servant leaders for His glory.

But more than anything, I pray that they would LOVE Jesus.

With their whole hearts.

My kids are far from perfect. And sometimes I am probably too hard on them because they don't sit still in church or because they argue over who gets to stand next to Dad while they are supposed to be worshipping. I have had to confess my own sin of pride or discontentment when they don't "act" the way I think they should.
More times than I would like to admit.

I don't want my kids to put on a show. I want Jesus to have their hearts. I don't want them to think you have to jump through hoops to get to Jesus. I want them to know they just need to LOVE Him. And when they LOVE Him, their lives will respond by following & obeying Him. Love leads to obedience. It doesn't go the other direction. It is why we have spent our lives teaching them about their Savior Jesus. Because when you really learn about Jesus, when you really get to know who He is and what He has done for you & me - it changes you. He changes you.

God has got a lot of work to do in them still. In me too.

Today they showed the world they love Jesus.

And they were really fired up about it.

We were too.

He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6











With Tears of Joy,
Karen

3 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

You are SO right! There is nothing sweeter than knowing your children will be in heaven for eternity... I pray God's richest blessings on their sweet lives. So happy for your family.

Anonymous said...

This post made me cry - what a precious moment for you as a mommy - and what wonderful words to remind us of the true requirement that we as parents have.

Brook V said...

How emotional... Just having a little boy myself I feel your emotions. Just being able to embrace your child lets them know that you are there to protect them for eternity. To hold your child and watch them fall asleep in your comfort and love shows how comfortable and relaxed they are to be with you and except your love and tendrness. Prayers and blessings to your beautiful family.

Brook VanVuren @ Weston Sport and Sipne