Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tiananmen Square and other things...

*Please feel free to go straight to the photos...my post is long so that I can remember all of these things once we get home and for years to come* Sorry! =)

Today we went to Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and the Imperial Palace & Gardens. It was very interesting to learn about the vast history there. I could have listened to our guide all day (maybe with air conditioning). =) There is a lot of symbolism and "lucky" numbers. One of the 3 gates in the Forbidden City is lined with golden buttons - 9 rows of 9 because it is said to be a lucky number. All of the people touch the buttons because it is believed that doing so will bring good luck in life. What I am about to say I mean with great respect - I am so grateful that I don't have to rely on golden buttons. Thank you Jesus. I have prayed much for this city and country. He is The Way, The Truth and The Life.

It was incredibly crowded and HOT - 100 degrees and so humid. We were all soaked with sweat. Mia was unbelievably good. I cannot imagine how exhausted, hot and bored she was, but she did not whine or complain one bit. We were there for about 2.5 hours or so - and got poked with a lot of umbrellas, especially Steve as they were right at his eye level. =) Every one uses them for the sun. Our guide, Tom, is very good. He has been quite forthcoming in telling us about the history and culture here - including the controversial things like the one child policy, child abandonment, abortion and the Tiananmen Square protests. He did ask us not to speak about that while we were there, which of course we honored.

We skipped lunch at the restaurant as everyone was SO HOT and dripping. Shannon was pretty overcome by the heat and we just needed to get her back to the hotel. She ended up getting really sick and we felt terrible for her. It was good to have a longer break before dinner. Mia napped and Steve headed out to find us some lunch and purchase a few things. While he was gone I had a precious opportunity to reconnect with the Lord. Psalm 16 is ministering to me immensely. I also had time to listen to some worship on my Ipod. It was good. Every time we speak to someone back home it brings me to tears. It is not that we are not enjoying ourselves - we really are, but I take for granted the sweet balm of relationships back home. That is why everyone's notes, emails and comments are so wonderful to us. Thank you. Thank you also for your continued prayers.

After Steve returned, we headed to the pool. Mia was very nervous. I could tell she was trying, but she had a scared look on her face. She got in and held on very tight. We didn't stay in long. We'll have to venture again...I'm sure once she sees her brothers and sister being thrown around by Daddy & Boppa in Door County she'll be a fish in the water.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is the Great Wall. I was hoping that we would be able to go to church here so I am disappointed. Beijing International Christian Fellowship looks wonderful - and it would be such a cool experience to worship here in China. Only international passport holders are allowed to attend. Breaks my heart. Imagine having to bring your passport to attend church and only foreigners being allowed to do so. I am so grateful for our freedoms in the US. Unfortunately, the Great Wall tour was moved to Sunday and I feel like we cannot miss that so we'll go to church in Guangzhou.

From a bonding standpoint, Mia is continuing to do better than we could have hoped for...still moments of acting out usually at bedtime, but many spontaneous hugs. She also fell today in the Imperial Gardens, cried and reached for me to be comforted. It sounds so insignificant, but that is a great sign of attachment. Many institutionalized children don't even look to be comforted by another person. We continue to be so thankful. Keep praying!

I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." Psalm 16:2







5 comments:

Jessica Bretl said...

I love hearing every detail about your time there, thank you so much for finding the time to share with us! I'm ecstatic that Mia is showing great signs of bonding, the awesomeness of our Lord's hand in that never ceases to bring me tears. The pictures are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Steve and Karen and Mia,
Your posts are NEVER too long for me! I enjoy all the details you are sharing. It helps me better understand what you are experiencing and how to pray. And please know that I am praying so frequently for all of you (those there and those here).

Christy for the 4 said...

Love you, my friend! you are doing a great job! We miss you too!!!!
1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

Jacob's Dogs said...

Congratulations on adding Mia to your family, she looks just beautiful in mom's arms! We are a CWA family too, we hope to travel in Sept/Oct to bring our little girl home from Beijing CWI. Thanks for sharing your journey! Blessings to your family! the Witmers (Jacobsmom on RQ)

The Greatest Treasures said...

Karen - Mia is beautiful. So glad your wait is over. It is all worth it.

God Bless, Carol (co on rq)