The Olympic Village was pretty cool. Tom (our guide) shared how excessive amounts of money were spent in preparation for the Olympics - cleaning up the city, planting trees and flowers and buildings. They began moving people out of their homes and began the building process 10 years before (assuming that they would be awarded the games). Almost 1/2 million people were "asked" to leave Beijing during the games and strongly encouraged anyone else to move out if they were able. Driving was restricted to every other day to reduce pollution. [Even still today everyone has a permit that restricts them from driving 1 day per week. He said that the government does not want to restrict the buying of cars so instead they restrict the driving of them. Currently, everyone has one day where they will be fined if they drive. He said soon that restriction will need to increase to 2 days per week.]
Today again was CRAZY hot & humid. It has been so hot here (during our entire stay) that if it were this hot at home we would not leave the house. =) As we sat in the Bird's Nest dripping - no air movement at all, I asked if it was this hot during the games. Tom said this hot or hotter because it was in August. As I looked down on the track, I could not imagine running in this heat. I had a new level of appreciation for the Olympic athletes. The Bird's Nest now is largely unused - such a shame - because it is apparently very expensive to rent. Occassionally a high level soccer game may take place there a couple times a year. The bathrooms (which of course I saw with Mia) were air conditioned - total luxury - and there were about 6 regular toilets in addition to about 12-14 squatties! Praise the Lord. I was happy to enjoy the perks of an Olympic athlete. I think I should write a book ranking the sqatty potties all over Beijing. The other 2 children are in diapers so nobody else has experienced them like me. =)
Mia did fantastic and having this schedule the last two days has been so much better. By about 7pm she starts to have a hard time, but then she goes to sleep without any trouble. Steve has been so great. He continues to initiate love with her and sometimes she receives it - other times she does not. It is very unpredictable, but I can see that she wants to love him. Whenever he leaves (our table at the buffet or our room) she says where is Baba? Come back Baba. (in Chinese). Steve has been a rock for me too as I have definitely had some major tears after bedtime for Mia some nights. We are a good team and I am so grateful that this hard thing has brought us even closer. The Lord is good.
Tomorrow we will have a free day and I hope to do some shopping along the local streets. Tom will pick up the passports for the kids in the afternoon tomorrow which means we are all done in Beijing. I am very much looking forward to Guangzhou as everyone says it is a much more relaxing pace for the families there. We fly there on Saturday. As difficult as it has been, because Beijing is Mia's birthplace and where she has spent her whole life, I think I will be a little sad leaving too.
A special thank you to Brad and Jess who have moved into our house and Derek & Christy who are helping out big time with the VCrew at home. My parents have passed on the baton to them and I think were sad to leave. The kids know the schedule well - the Bretls and Boyds, then Team Williams (Aunt Kathy & fam), then Grandma and Boppa are back and then MOM & DAD & MIA are home! We are forever grateful to all of the help that we have been getting for the kids at home. It is so reassuring to know that so many are praying for them and looking out for them at VBS and in the neighborhood. We really appreciate it.
That's all for today. Miss & love everyone more than you can imagine.
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14
Enjoy the photos...You can probably see the sweat glistening on our skin. =)










8 comments:
It offical, you're over half way done!!! We can't wait to have you home so we do some "dailys". We will continue to pray for you and your safety as you travel on Saturday. All is good here. Looking forward to some huge hugs!
I've enjoyed reading your blog and MIA is so CUTE!!! I will be to Guangzhou on Sunday, I fly from G Bay tomorrow morning! Hopefully I'll bump into you somewhere...we are adopting a little boy with a repaired cl and unrepaired cp. I'm traveling alone :(
Hello!
It is so great that Mia is able to nap - that makes such a difference...doesn't it?!
Thanks for the pictures!!!
Rebecca
How is Mia communicating with you? Does she know any English, have you been taught the basic things in Chinese? Kalyana was taught some basic sign language which was a great help. She was able to sign before she was able to get the words right. We just signed while we were speaking to her and she picked that up faster, the words came later. That seemed to ease a lot of frustration on her part with communication. I pray so often through the day for you all and for Mia's transitioning. She has seemed to get through any initial greiving pretty well. I think Kaly slept through hers. She would sleep alot at first too, and I think that was her way of dealing with the changes going on in her life. Blessings to you for your patience with her, and being able to read her needs so early! You both are doing so well with her!! Continued prayers as your journey continues.
Sharon Boyea
Sorry, something else I thought of. You may notice some changes in Mia's behavior or moods when you go on to the other city. Kaly had some changes when we left her home city. I think it is a change of sounds, smells, and even the food was different. It might make it more real to her that she is transitioning to something new. Just a thought I wanted to share. Blessings.
Sharon Boyea
So glad to here you sounding "refreshed". The pictures are my favorite so far! So many cuddles and kisses going around, it brings tears to my eyes. Day one of Team Bretl/Boyd went VERY well. Christy is a well oiled machine (very helpful!!!) and Bradley is like the mascot(always doing something silly to keep moral high!!!) :)
It's been a blast so far and we're looking forward to the days ahead. love you!
Half way done! I hope you enjoy your final day in Beijing and are able to continue getting to know and love each other as you experience all the uniqueness that Guangzhou has to offer.
Keep up the good work!
Melissa W and crew
Sounds like a great day. I hope you are now feeling encouraged knowing that you don't have much longer until you are headed home. Enjoy the remaining time!
Kelly
www.raudenbushfamily.blogspot.com
www.jiayindesigns.com
Post a Comment