As I mentioned in an earlier post, Mia's finding location is one block from our hotel. It was the first place we went to when we arrived in Beijing (before we got Mia). We took some pictures and I just tried to take it all in. The area is a tree lined park that is narrow and long running between two city streets with lots of traffic. All along the park are benches to sit on. There were a few people walking here and there, but it is a strangely peaceful setting in the midst of this congested and busy city. I tried to imagine what her birth mother must have been feeling almost 4 1/2 years ago. I prayed for her. I pray that she has peace to know that her baby girl will be well cared for. I pray that Mia's birth mother will know Jesus and that someday they may be reunited in Heaven. Until then, we will love her and care for her and teach her about Jesus as if she was from our very own flesh. It already feels like she is. We plan to go back again before we leave with Mia for some more pictures. I will post some at the bottom.
After Mia was found, she was taken to a police station nearby and lived there for 2 weeks before being placed in the orphanage. This is very common and there are living quarters there. The police station she was taken to is 2 blocks from our hotel so we headed there today. I asked the hotel clerk to show us the way and he also wrote down in Chinese requesting Mia's file for her stay while she was there. I knew it was a long shot, but I wanted to try. Quite an interesting experience. They looked up her info and dates of stay and looked like they clearly found a file on the computer. We had to return a second time with better "proof" that we were her parents. We made the very short walk back to our hotel to get some more documents and returned within 15 minutes. We were asked many questions as to why we wanted the file. I explained that I would like it so that I could share with her this part of her history in China. After much waiting, loud discussion with many official looking people, being moved to other rooms, more questions and more waiting the original officer returned. He said - "We have no file." I was a little stunned. I knew that he was clearly lying, but there was nothing else we could do. I am glad that we did our best even though the effort proved to be fruitless. We were at least able to get some photos of the police station where she spent 2 weeks of her life before being placed in the orphanage.
We spent over 4 hours this afternoon in appointments. We were all getting pretty crazy and slap happy. Mia again did exceptionally well. We first went back to Civil Affairs to pick up our adoption certificates. Lots of waiting in a waiting room. Finally after getting them, we went to a notary office to get the certificates notarized. TONS more waiting in a large conference room. Then we headed to the police station where the kids got their photos taken for their passport. More waiting. You would think I would be used to that by now. =) We made the best of our time and Mia, Steve and I did a LOT of her sticker word book (Kathy that has been AMAZING!). Then I started showing her the english letters that were hanging on the wall in the room. She was repeating the sounds after me - it was remarkable! We got in on video and I am so glad.
Now we just need to fill our time in Beijing waiting for the passport to be ready (Friday). Tomorrow we go to the Summer Palace. It has been so good to hear from so many of you and "chat" on facebook. What a blessing technology has been!
Overwhelmingly, I am so amazed at how well Mia is doing. We prepared for the very worst. Her medical needs up to this point have been non-existent other than taking her meds 3x/day. God has been so good to us.
LORD you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:5-6
[Below are photos of Mia's finding location, the police station, Steve & Mia in the Civil Affairs waiting room popping bubblegum together and the infamous squatty potty - a rather clean one actually]










3 comments:
Karen, if you guys start being successful at the squatty potty, we'll just have to take you to Sudan - that's a whole new level of "squat" and "pot" :) I have pictures to keep these in perspective! :)
Enjoy your time...and we'll be here praying and waiting for you to come home!
You've got the most difficult day of appts. behind you! That conference room was where Jia really showed out, glad they still let you in! Mia looks very happy and content. Praying for you as you continue your journey.
So great to hear your voice today! So glad things are continuing to go well. Mia will surely treasure all of the history of her beginnings that you are collecting for her. What special memories for the three of you to share together. Praying for you.
Trust in the Lord with your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Prov. 3:5-6
Post a Comment