Friday, July 23, 2010

Busy days

We are so busy, but things are going very well. Mia and I shared some special bonding moments as we each shared one earbud and listened to some praise and worship on my Ipod. She seemed to enjoy the music - I figured we better get started so it starts to sound famiiar at our house! =) We also painted toenails and braided hair. She had a little bit of nail polish wearing off her toes when we received her. I am sure it must have been from her foster family. We learned that she returned to the orphanage about a month ago and the wear on her polish looked about right. =) She had 2 teenage foster sisters so I'll bet they loved on her! She knew just what to do for pretty toes. Again, she'll fit right in. =)

We also visited a supermarket, Carrefore. It is like a HUGE Walmart. It was SO stressful. Aisle after aisle of unknown items. We looked at a lot of pictures and guessed. There were also many things with familiar packaging just in Chinese - like Lays Stax, Chips A'Hoy cookies, cheetos, etc. The flavors were interesting - shrimp flavored stax chips. Yikes! Also, many strange things in the "meat and seafood" area. Live turtles, fish, eel, unknown urchins - and they were not for pets. I was slipping on random fish heads on the floor and with all the people and craziness, I was all done. Mia did very well and seemed to have been in a store before with her foster family. She knew how to sit in the cart and was very patient. She was definitely pointing to and requesting all kinds of sweets - not unlike the other 3 at home! =) When we got fruit there, we had to get it weighed and have a sticker printed out. There are no lines and people just push to the front, around and behind you and put their things on the scale. I was so incapable. I just couldn't get in there and be assertive - 30 people must have pushed ahead of me and they just kept coming. I couldn't figure out how I would ever get it done - and nobody was concerned that's for sure. =) Steve thought it was hilarious and somehow I managed after WAY TOO long. =)

We have been having wonderful meals. I feel like we are constantly eating. Mia has had a cold, runny nose and cough since we got her so pray for that. She also seems to have diarrhea. I don't know if it is a bug or if it is the change of food. Either way - that over a squatty potty, slipping around in flip-flops is not one of the things I'll miss. =)

Mia is continuing to do very well. Some acting out and some mild rejection of Steve. She lets him carry her, but she is not real thrilled with his kisses. That is really hard. We have been Skyping with the kids and I am emotional afterward every time. I miss them so much it aches. There is no way we could do this with them here, but it sure is hard to be away. They are doing SO well with Grandma and Boppa and it is wonderful to see their big smiles and get their email letters. Thanks Mom and Dad! Today when we were Skyping they were all at the pool in Door County and in walked Ken and Tina Moberg!!! (Our executive pastor and his sweet wife and my friend, Tina!) They recognized the kids and came over to say hello to my parents and then Skyped with us!! How crazy! They are staying up there for the week. What a small world. Thank you Jesus.

Today we will go to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. It has been really hot yesterday and today 100 degrees. Please continue to pray for our bonding and for Mia's transition - especially when we add the other 3 to the mix. I am anticipating Mia having a very hard time sharing Mom & Dad. He has gone before us. May I keep my eyes ever fixed on the Lord.
That's it for now! Enjoy the photos!







5 comments:

Christy for the 4 said...

so fun to see the "girl time". we will get lots of that here!!! the teva's look great on her!!! :) we love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

Kaly had a hard time with men and Kevin at first too. I think they are primarily cared for by the women, so it is a strange concept of male nurturing. Tell Steve to try not to take it too personally. She seems to be doing really well so far. I am so happy for you all!! Continued blessings to you all!!
Sharon Boyea

Anonymous said...

So happy for all of you! Mia looks like she's adjusting well! Again, so happy for you!

PS. Had to google "squatty potty" as I was clueless... after seeing it, I just couldn't imagine. (Ick!!)

Melissa said...

I'm sorry Steve is struggling with the rejection issue. I'm sure you know that's 100% "normal." We had a similar experience - we did okay in China, but after coming home, it was almost complete rejection of my Steve for a long time - like a year- especially if I was anywhere in the vicinity. But now, she's definitely got her daddy wrapped around that little finger! I'm sure it will be no time before that little one has enough confidence to bond with each family member and know she is forever loved. Hang in there! Melissa W.

Chris said...

I remember Carrefore....yikes!
You are a lot braver that I was!! Buying fruit & weighing it! Good for you! I know that was a huge accomplishment!!! I don't think people in the States truly understand what shopping is like in China!! Thank goodness for our guide!

Both Shea & Avery weren't super thrilled with Dave for a while! Tell Steve to hang in there....he will be more or less 'your assistant' for a while...but, it time Mia will become 'his little girl'!

I'm sure you are aware that newly adopted children will usually bond with just one parent....I think everything is just so overwhelming for them that they can only {emotionally} handle one parent at a time!

Keeping y'all in my prayers!!!
:)

Love the pictures!!! I can not believe how long Mia's hair is!!!
She is so adorable!