Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This is the way, walk in it


Last weekend Steve and I headed to Door County just the two of us. It was a really wonderful time. Door County holds a special place in our hearts because we honeymooned there almost 11 years ago. We have tried to return for a weekend alone once a year ever since. While it has not always been easy to arrange, we both really feel strongly that we need that time together as a couple each year and especially before big life events in our family. We realized that this would likely be the last opportunity to have a getaway alone for quite some time as we eagerly anticipate the arrival of Mia. So, we made sure to get it on the calendar.

So where were the kids?

We purchased a package at our church youth auction fundraiser that included babysitting for a "mom & dad weekend away." The family who kept our three children are good friends and we knew the kids would have a blast. They did and we were so grateful to know that they were in good hands. Thank you Jason, Stacey, Kyle and Kory!

Steve and I had the opportunity to talk uninterrupted, to stay in bed as long as we wanted, to eat our meals when they were hot, and to slowly and casually shop among all of the breakables. =) We did all of those things and more. We had two amazing breakfasts (thanks to my wonderful breakfast chef husband) ...no need for lunch and two great dinners out. We also had a fun time playing tennis, hanging out in the hot tub, swimming laps and hiking in Peninsula State Park.

Hiking in Peninsula with my man is one of my favorite things to do while we are in DC. Steve and I have had some of our greatest talks in that woods. We spend time looking back on all that the Lord has done in our lives and looking forward to all that is to come. We have anticipated the arrival of each one of our children walking along those same trails. There is something about listening to the crunch of twigs under our feet, hand in hand, as we talk about our lives together, that is such a gift from the Lord. We truly marvel at His creation and are humbled by all that He has done. May it all be for His glory. Thank you God for giving us that time.

"Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?" 2 Samuel 7:18

The very first time we hiked in those woods together, in November of 1999, Steve picked up an interesting stick in the shape of a Y. He held onto it as we talked and walked along the path. At some point along the way, Steve decided that he would hang it up in a tree and there it was left. Almost on accident, the following year during our anniversary trip, we found that silly stick hanging in the tree right where we had left it. Since that time, we have been leaving our Y stick somewhere along those trails only to be found again year after year.

What started as something quite insignifigant has now become a sweet tradition. Over the years, Steve has whittled the bark off and added our initials. Through the ice cold winter storms, the heavy rains of spring, the sticky heat of summer, and the brisk winds of fall, that silly little stick has endured.
I wonder how many people have passed by...

You know it is funny how many times we have hiked those trails and how familiar they have become to me yet, I know that I could never get myself back there where our little Y stick hangs. On those paths Steve is always leading and I don't worry about where we are headed. I just rest in the knowledge that he knows where we are going. I am thankful for his leadership in our family. I am even more thankful that Steve is following the leadership of the Lord to guide and direct the steps for our family. It is no surprise that some of my favorite Scriptures remind me of His leadership and direction. He is the One leading us along this path. Sometimes it has been smooth and easy and at other times it has been rocky and really hard. There are times we have stumbled or gotten thorns in our feet. And sometimes we can see a big climb up ahead.
Through it all there is no greater guide than the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you Lord for Your Word...

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105

Oh how often I have prayed these for me and for my family...

Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. Psalm 86:11

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

I trust Him with my steps...

I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps. Jeremiah 10:23

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

I am so grateful that He is trustworthy...

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23

No comments: