Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day to all...especially to the great men and women who have served our country to protect the freedoms that my family and I enjoy. I know that I too often take for granted those freedoms and fail to acknowledge the sacrifice that many have made on my behalf. A special thank you to Dad V. who is one of those great men who faithfully served. We remember today that we have many brothers and sisters around the world who are persecuted for their faith in Christ, even martyred. Spend some time on this website to learn more http://www.persecution.com/ I am incredibly grateful for the ability to openly worship my Savior. So thank you to all those who are currently serving and who have previously served, to those who have been wounded and to those who courageously gave their lives in service to our country.

America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

This holiday weekend also gave us the opportunity to get away. We just returned home from a gorgeous time in Door County with my sister and her family. I just love going there. It is such a nice retreat. I was able to do some Bible study and get some adoption reading done. We all relaxed and enjoyed one another. The kids spent a ton of time swimming, playing with their cousins, hiking, digging and building castles at the beach. We enjoyed burgers at Bayside, pizza from Sonny's and waffle cone's from Dippy's. Mmm. Mark and the kids also indulged in the recently awarded #1 breakfast in the country by Good Morning America at the White Gull Inn. Cherry-stuffed french toast. Always delish.

I was also surprised with another precious gift from my sister...

Kathy had a t-shirt quilt made for Mia. I love it! It was so thoughtful. There are old favorite t-shirts from everyone in Kathy's family, our crew and my parents. (She had asked for old t-shirts from us several months ago and I actually had forgotten about them.) As soon as I saw it, I recognized the trim and borders surrounding the t-shirt squares are from my favorite quilt as a child that our great-grandmother made. I couldn't believe it! That quilt had been very well loved. Kathy said that as she removed the stitching from it many of the pieces remaining were just thin shreds of fabric. I am so thankful that our old worn blankie (which had found its home in a chest in my parents basement) has been given new life and new purpose. Mia is going to have some AMAZING love to wrap herself up in (see also Showered With Love post). Wow.
Thank you Kathy.

Me & my sis



Below are some pics of the crew at Wood Orchard Market...they wanted photos in front of the big apple. LOL



taking a bite...



1 comment:

Jessica Bretl said...

I love that t-shirt quilt idea. Very sweet Kathy.