Friday, April 16, 2010

My boys

Caleb and Luke are boys through and through. I remember when I had my first born and it was a boy. And then my second born was a boy. I thought I don't know how to "do" boys. I don't know how to play with trucks or wrestle or build great towers. I know how to play babies, paint nails, and have tea parties. I wondered, what am I going to do with 2 boys? Many people argue that there is no difference between boys and girls. They say that it is our culture and environment that influences the differences that we see as they grow into adulthood. I could not disagree more. God designed males and females VERY differently, intentionally and with great purpose. Raising children of both genders has confirmed this for me again and again.

My boys have been boys from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, they still cook with me, write plays, love to sing and dance, and pretend, but the theme is usually about conquering, accomplishing or competing. They want my admiration; Chloe wants my love. I'm not suggesting that Caleb and Luke don't want my love too (and Chloe my admiration), of course they do and they readily receive it. It is just that their underlying need is for respect...sometimes I feel like I am raising little men. Then I realize, in many ways I am. =)

For the last week or so the boys have been working diligently on a "project." This is a regular activity in our house. They are constantly building and creating. If only I could show you the number of "helpful tools" they have made out of duct tape and things in our recylcing bin (ie. tin lids, bottles, cans, plastic containers) - it truly is unbelievable.

Consistently, when Caleb and Luke arrive home from school, they put their backpacks down and beg to go back outside to the woods or "animal junction" which is what they call it. It is not even on our property, but our gracious neighbors don't seem to mind (thank you Steve & Courtney). I ask them to change into "play jeans," be careful and kind and to ask permission if they want to go anywhere else. Most recently, they have been working especially hard on a secret project. A few days ago, they excitedly came in after a few more hours of "work" and anxiously said - it's finished, come see!

I had no idea what I would find, but I must say once I saw their masterpiece I was pretty impressed. Take a look for yourselves...



They fully equipped it with a firepit and sleeping areas:



I am certain that they believe they could survive in the wild...
they were so proud! And they got all kinds of admiration from their mom! :)



This is just one of the reasons I love my
creative,
man vs. wild,
teepee-building boys.

They have taught me
how to play with trucks
and wrestle
and build great towers
and so much more.

God is so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
How true it is that boys seem to seek out admiration. Even little Samuel seems to be looking more for that at his young age. Thanks for sharing this! It encourages me with Samuel as well as with Pancho!