Sunday, April 11, 2010

2 More Birthdays in the V Crew

Well, we have now celebrated two more birthdays in our family, both Steve and Luke. I am realizing that with Mia's birthday on March 31, Steve's on April 6, Luke's on April 9 and Chloe's on May 10 we have 4 of 6 of The V.Crew celebrating birthdays in under 6 weeks. Add in Easter, Mother's Day and several extended family and dear friends birthdays in May and it makes for a REALLY busy time! Whoa.

We had a good time celebrating Steve's birthday...he had special delivery of NJ bagels come from his parents which have been such a treat! Although, Steve is pretty possessive of them. ;) If you have never had a NJ bagel - there truly is no other bagel that can compare. None can compete. Mmm...I may go need to sneak one after I am done here. Anyways, Steve and I had a date night out and the kids made some really special cards for him. I realized that he is only 13 years from 50 and that just sounds crazy old. How can that be?? He laughed at me and said...what are you talking about you're only 6 months behind. True. It is just really weird because he is now closer to 50 than 24 and we both just feel so much younger than we actually are...it doesn't help that all of our close friends here are like 100 years younger than us! ;)

Three days later, we were on to celebrating Luke's big day. Luke is our party guy and enjoys every moment of his day. He must have said 10 times isn't this a great day?? He had announced the week earlier (when he celebrated his Door County b-day with Grandma & Boppa) that it has always been his dream to wake up to people singing happy birthday. He's so dramatic. So, in Door County we all rounded his bed and woke him with song and he grinned from ear to ear. It wasn't even his birthday. :) He is a riot. Anyways, on his real birthday, we did the same. He headed to school after choosing one present to open - a nerf disc shooter from Aunt Leslie, Uncle Craig & family - a HUGE hit I might add. I then went in to his school late morning to bring his birthday treat; he asked for root beer floats for the whole class. It is never the routine cupcakes, rice krispy treats, cookies...oh no he is all about something unique that screams let's party! That's our Lukers.

Later that night, he had a sleepover party with pizza, cupcakes and a few of his good pals. They went on a big scavenger hunt all around our neighborhood and all the way up to school. We hid blue eggs with clues in them leading them to the next spot. Thankfully we have amazing neighbors who were happy to have a bunch of excited boys running around with flashlights (and Steve) searching for eggs. They arrived home for milkshakes and a movie and slept in the 9'x9' family tent that I set up in the basement. They had a great time. Morning came WAY TOO early @ 6:15am and Steve got the pancake breakfast rolling by 7:30! It was a great day for him. I am so glad - he is such a blessing to our family - every one of them are...

Today after church we spent much of the afternoon working on a project that was one of Luke's presents. He told his Grandma Vandenberg that he wanted a pottery wheel for his birthday. WHAT?! Who says that? I explained to him you can't just buy a pottery wheel buddy, can you think of another idea. Much to my surprise Grandma & Grandpa Vandenberg managed to find a pottery wheel and sent it for his birthday! He was super excited about it! So, we spent the afternoon, molding and shaping and spinning the clay on the wheel. The "pot" is drying and awaiting the painting phase,but below you can see some pictures of the process. After the kids left to play outside, I spent a lot of time trying to repair the weak little pot. Working with that clay was surprisingly therapeutic.

I, of course, had all kinds of analogies going through my head about my Heavenly Father being the potter and me being the clay. I sure need a lot of shaping and molding to be made into the image He created me to be. Sometimes that process is painful. Sometimes it is exhausting. Sometimes the walls need to be strengthened, sometimes the foundation needs to be steadied, sometimes pieces need to be cut out all together. It is crazy that sometimes I think that I would be a better potter than Him in my life. That sure is ridiculous...and after seeing our little creation I am sure that you'll agree. :)

Thankfully in the Potter's Hands,
Karen



Our Seven Year Old...Lukers







...our masterpiece



...and an Easter Photo

No comments: