October was busy and fun. As I celebrated my birthday, Mia had her first experience watching presents being opened and candles being blown out. She seemed to take it all in. My parents surprised me (not Steve) and walked into the birthday lunch that Steve had planned for me and the girls. It was super fun and I was REALLY surprised. They also donated their babysitting services so that Steve could take me out for dinner - another great blessing. Thanks Mom & Dad!
This past weekend was quite an adventure. I headed solo to Door County with the kids - a first for Mia. My parents were there to help with and add to the great adventures. The boys enjoyed long hikes along the Eagle Trail with Grandma & Boppa. And the girls enjoyed countless books and many, many games with them too.
While there, Mia spent A LOT of time in the pool. She was incredibly nervous- terrified actually - but she did remarkably well. She definitely does not like to feel out of control (which makes a whole lot of sense for a girl who has had her world pulled out from under her so many times in her short life). She warmed up as the days went on...especially in the kiddie pool.
The crew also got to go to a costume parade and trick-or-treat throughout the shops of Fish Creek. Mia loved dressing up and practiced over and over her "ick or reat" and "thank yous." She was not at all a fan of anyone with a mask on. The scary decorations and costumes were rough on her as well. I think it actually stressed her out pretty badly. That made for a lot of carrying by the Boppa and the momma, but in the end, she was quite pleased to watch candy get dropped into her bucket. =)
Saturday, will be 3 months since we have been home from China. It is hard to believe. Mia is now talking CONSTANTLY. Her vocabulary is growing quickly, but often times we still struggle to understand her. She is much like a chattering two year old - it requires some effort to figure out the words she is using, but she definitely has a lot to say. Her very first full sentence was "no more monkeys jumping on the bed." (Chloe LOVES reading that book out loud to her.) Needless to say, it took a while for me to figure that one out. =)
We are beginning to consider and pray about school options for Mia come January. We are not sure what she is ready for nor are we sure of all our options. It may start with a few hours per week depending on how Mia responds. Please pray that it is a clear decision and a smooth transition.
We are busy.
Sometimes it is really hard.
Somedays it seems like I was absolutely made for this.
Other days I wonder who ever thought that I could be the mother of 4 children.
This fall has been very different for me. I have had to give up some things that mean a lot to me. The most difficult has been giving up teaching (or even attending) women's Bible study on Wednesday mornings. I miss it terribly. I miss the hours and hours of time in The Word. I miss the ladies. I miss the fellowship.
More than anything, I miss the intimacy with the Lord.
He has not left me.
Not. Even. Close.
But the season has changed for a time.
I am doing my best to embrace this season, but it has been harder than I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I want this. I'd rather it be easy (just being honest), but I absolutely do want to be the mother of these 4 precious children. I want to use this time to pour into Mia while she is still at home. I want desperately to walk in obedience. It is where the Lord has called me. It was clear to me that the Lord asked me to give these things up for a time and so I have. In return I have gained sweet time with my newest little girl.
And through it all, He is pruning me. It hurts. And sometimes it seems like the prettiest branches are the ones that He cuts off.
To make room for new growth.
Richer, more fruitful, beautiful growth.
That declares the work of The Master Gardener.
I am fully confident that,
even in the midst of the difficulty,
it is right,
and ultimately,
it is for my good and for His Glory.
And for that I am grateful.
Below are some pictures from October...
the one with Grandma & Boppa & the kids did not go so well as I asked them to stare into the sun - oops!










2 comments:
Karen, I really appreciated the honesty of your post. At 3 months I was struggling in the same way. We have very similar families. It was very hard, each day a challenge and I felt a sense of loss of what our family was before we got our daughter. Now at 6 months home, it is still difficult but she is able to communicate, goes to preschool and is able to stay home with me gone for short periods of time. It gets better but its still hard. Thanks for your post.
Jen
I love reading the updates and the pictures are adorable!
Post a Comment