I am not a runner and I have always been pretty terrified of running in front of people. In elementary school I was made fun of all the time for the way that I ran and it has really stayed with me. I can still feel the pain of that awkward 10 year old being ridiculed by her "friends." And that's why I did it. I felt as though I needed to prove to myself that I could. Which makes the whole "it wasn't a true 5K" thing kind of sickening.
In the grand scheme of things this is all very silly and insignificant because I know that my identity and my worth is found in Christ. Yet at the same time I needed to stop making excuses for myself that I just was not built to run. I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 4:13). There are so many references in God's Word to life in Christ being like running a race. He made me to run. I cannot just "opt" out. So I ran. And I wasn't very good in my own eyes, my pride was crunched and I didn't perform excellent by the world's standards. What a good lesson for me. My life should be one that is running (sometimes slow and hot), but persevering toward the prize of Christ. It won't often look like success by the world's standards, but the reward is eternal, a crown that will last forever (1 Cor. 9:24-27). I want desperately to come to the end of my life and have the Lord say "You have fought the good fight, you have finished the race, you have kept the faith." (2 Tim 4:7-8), "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" (Matt 25:21)
I have got a lot more running to do.
May it be to His glory and not my own.










No comments:
Post a Comment